04 May 2012

May Day

The first of May was May Day, or International Labor Day (День международной солидарности трудящихся den' mezhdunarodnoi solidarnosti trudyashchikhsya).  Here is an interesting fact, before the February Revolution in 1917, it was illegal to celebrate this holiday in Russia.  Later, it became an official holiday of the Soviet Union with many festivities and a day off from work and school.  It still remains a relatively major holiday here in Russia, and because of it, I had the day off.  In fact, when I was out and about on Tuesday, I ran into a parade/demonstration of some sort along Nevsky Prospect.  Supposedly, at a parade in Moscow, both Putin and Medvedev joined for a little while.  It seems odd, if only because the group here in Petersburg were shouting: "Россия без Путина!" (Russia without Putin), and there were signs that said: "Россия против Путина" (Russia against Putin).  However, in this same parade, I saw a small group that represented themselves as the Official Pirate Party of Russia.  There were police everywhere! It was the one time where I could snap pictures of the police vehicles without the risk of getting into trouble.


ОМОН (OMON or Special Purpose Mobil Unit or riot police)
trailing the demonstration/parade.

Police vehicles trailing the parade/demonstration.

After walking along the sidewalk on Nevsky Prospect, moving along with the parade/demonstration for awhile, Ely and I, along with our new Russian friend, Marina, branched down a side street.  This is when we began to explore the slightly less well-kept areas of downtown Petersburg...paint is chipping, graffiti is everywhere, etc.  We ventured into a clothing store where both Marina and I were each given a free bundle of surprisingly tasty bananas. Why? I do not know.  

Ely
Marina (left) and I posing with the sad pink vehicle.

Then, we had the opportunity to explore some more rooftops! From our vantage point, we captured a fairly good view of Saint Isaac's Cathedral.  I think doing this is further evidence that my boldness is increasing...I was able to move around on the roofs with relative ease and without too much fear.  But need not worry, I was careful! 

Saint Isaac's Cathedral 

Marina 

I have school in the morning (yes, on a Saturday), so I need to go to bed! 

That's all for now.




1 comment:

  1. When I was in elementary school, I remember dancing around a May Pole and making construction paper May Baskets to put flowers in. I never really knew what it was about. Still don't really know what the celebration was all about.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete