18 May 2012

One Semester, Three Countries, Eight Pushkin Monuments, and 4,270 Photographs

I am sitting here in my host family's apartment, a place that I have been able to call home for the last three and a half months, filled up with food and enjoying my last hours.  It is 10 pm right now, but it will not be completely dark until midnight.  Today, my last day in Saint Petersburg, was gorgeous - sunny, in the low 80s, I was with friends, and we wondered the streets for one last time - truly a perfect way to end my time here in Russia.  It has been such an amazing experience, I could not have asked for it to go so well, but it did and I am so happy.


Since my last post, much has happened, and that seems like the usual case while studying abroad - nearly every moment is filled with activity.  Rest and sleep became somewhat of a luxury.  My host mom told me that I could sleep once I returned to America.  Anyway, following Victory Day celebrations, I went to school for the next three days with the last of our classes concluding on Saturday.  Sunday, while a tad bit chilly, we had our last CIEE planned excursion to Peterhof.  It is easy to understand why, along with the entire downtown area of Saint Petersburg, it is considered to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  It is often called the Russian Versailles, and while I have never actually been to Versailles, I think Peterhof is unique and beautiful in its own right.  There are so many fountains spread out across the gardens, it was really quite nice.  

Peterhof


Monday was the start of finals and with little time to study, the next couple of days were very hectic.  The conversation final was odd, as it was all written...but that is really the only qualm I had with any of the tests.  I am not a big fan of taking tests, but oh well, it must be done.  I think they went well.  I hope so.  

Wednesday was our final day of the program, and we had the opportunity to have our closing ceremonies on a boat.  For several hours as we cruised along the Neva River, we enjoyed Russian cabbage and meat pies, champagne, and chocolates.  Afterwards, Ely and I walked along the main channel of the Neva, and then made our way over to Peter and Paul Fortress to check out the people bathing in the sun.  It was a gorgeous day. From there, I walked home, taking in the sights, and taking photographs of the various modes of public transportation I used this semester to get to school and elsewhere.  That evening, I went for a walk around the neighborhood.  I wanted to be out and about and experience the White Nights.


The Hermitage from the Neva River.


Today was spent with friends as we wandered the streets of Saint Petersburg, capturing ourselves in front of some of the many famous landmarks that the city has to offer.  When you live in a place for a long time, sometimes you do not think to do that, and that is why we finally ended up doing it today, a day before we are to return to the States.  A few things that stood out, or rather, people that stood out were Russian men sunbathing.  They strip off their shirts and point their chests towards the sun (naturally), but I only saw one attractive man admits the sea of men who should really put their shirts back on.  This all happened to be in a park in front of Saint Isaac's Cathedral.  I also went to the Idiot Restaurant (named after Dostoevsky's novel) along the Moika and received a free shot of vodka.  I threw the alcohol back, my eyes watered, I coughed, and my throat burned.  I still do not know what the verdict is, but I can say that I had vodka in Russia now.  

Like I said at the beginning of this post, today was a perfect way to end this trip.  I loved this country before I came here, but while here, I fell even more in love.  I feel such a deep connection with this country.  Russia is a part of my heart and a part of my soul.  It saddens me to say goodbye, but I know I will return, Russia has not seen the last of me.  

"Piter, we love you."


No comments:

Post a Comment